Yes, Children Are a Blessing - But Childcare Is Expensive (and even four-legged children are emotionally demanding)

"Our daycare is $1950 (for 3 year old) and $2300 (for 9 month old) per month." - That snippet is from a thread on Subreddit Big Law. But it could be part of any public or private conversation about the cost of childcare. Also, it doesn't include the logistical catastrophes that can play out when the childcare arrangment falls through. Clearly the decision to have a family involves serious matters of budgeting and work/life balance.

This is not new with the more demanding work schedules of today. For most well-paying jobs and contract assignments, there is no 9-to-5 and no weekends off. 

But, back in more normal times when I had been a ghostwriter/speechwriter for the executives in the auto industry, managing childcare was still problematic for professionals.

At that time, I was doing soul-searching about adopting a baby or a toddler. My mentor jumped right in. He pointed out that, since I didnt have family in the area, the logistics could be a nightmare. What about if the nanny couldn't come that day? What about a bout of sickness for the child. Surely, he noted, I would yearn to be home with the little one. What a distraction. His recommendation: Adopt two dogs.

That I did.

 Currently I am a consultant. That's one hat I wear (I operate several businesses.) When the assignment comes in the turnaround time is usually non-negotiable. 

Of course, I am tense. That increases when my dog - I only have one right now - keeps interrupting in order to go out. Since he is older, he needs to do that more than is traditional. The dog picks up on my rising angst. That's bad for both of us. If I had to do it over again, I probably would not have a dog. It simply isn't fair for either of us. 

Obviously, any responsibility beyond work per se intersects with the work. That's just the way it is with working. And, no, that isn't only the situation in 2022.

Purpose-driven intuitive career coaching, including Tarot Readings. For more information or a complimentary consultation, please contact janegenova374@gmail.com or text 203-468-8579. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akin Gump Julia Ghahramani's March 2021 Cocaine+ Death - So?

Up-or-Out: McKinsey Raises the Pressure, In Contrast Some Law Firms Ease It through Nonequity Partner Tier

Down Memory Lane - There Was Actually a Time in When $70k for New JDs Was Big Money