The Red Cross - What a Shame

 Aggressively, the messaging from the Red Cross keeps hammering: There is a desperate need for blood.

So, this Saturday morning I took time away from my business (entrepreneurs are always on-duty) to donate blood. I had also taken the time to research if there was an upper age limit on donating. According to the internet, there wasn’t. I am a boomer.

For about a week there was a sign at the entrance of the Jewish Community Center, Gypsy Lane, Youngstown, Ohio, about the blood drive today. More recently another sign had been added: "Gift." So, I assumed there had been increased urgency. There was no mention of the need for an appointment. I am a JCC member.

I arrived early and used the time to work out in the JCC amazing gym facilities. Then, at bit after 9 AM I headed to the room where the Red Cross donation center had been set up. The desk at the entrance to the room was unattended.

Standing ahead of me was a flustered woman. She had been told she should have had an appointment and they may or may not be able to accommodate her. She was going to wait to find out. Sheepishly she told me that she hadn’t known she needed an appointment. Well, neither did I.

I rolled my eyes. I figured that kind of meek compliance wasn't going to be for me. But I didn’t walk out, not yet.

Finally a man came to the desk. I told him that I didn't have an appointment so how long would I have to wait to find out if I could donate blood. Incidentally, the room wasn't jam-packed with donors. This was a holiday weekend with glorious weather. He answered that the timeframe would be a half hour to an hour. He added: An appointment is necessary. 

I hightailed it out of there. 

I am a businessperson. When there is urgency, I scramble for a solution. If I were rigid or created unnecessary red tape I would be out of business. So would any other businesses. 

Tradition-bound IBM in the early 1990s disrupted itself and replaced its CEO John Akers with outsider Lou Gerstner. Previously leadership all had been homegrown. Upstarts Apple and Microsoft were eating its lunch, dinner, and breakfast.

Recently, when Disney couldn't halt the falling stock price it parachuted back former CEO Bob Iger and that was that for Bob Chapek.

It was in an interview with SuperLawyers that Paul Weiss chair Brad Karp described his approach to case management:

“In difficult matters, I will think about my clients’ problems night and day until a solution emerges. I’m a big believer in late-night epiphanies.”

Yet, in this era of supposed desperate need for blood the Red Cross has established a rigid rule and is sticking to it.

In addition, it's cumbersome to contact the headquarters of the Red Cross on its website.

Until there is a review and hopefully course correction of this policy and other forms of seemless needless red tape, I ask organizations not to host the Red Cross blood drives.

Funding sources should also consider withdrawing support.

Volunteers might make more of a difference elsewhere.

Meanwhile those in desperate need for blood in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania metro area can contact me directly for donations on a regular basis (text 203-468-8579). No gift needed. I know I am blessed. “At my age” I am operating two businesses.

What is your career story? Or, what do you assume it is? That narrative may be ot-of-date and holding you back.

Take advantage of a complimentary consultation. Please contact intuitive career coach Jane Genova at janegenova374@gmail.com or text 203-468-8579.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akin Gump Julia Ghahramani's March 2021 Cocaine+ Death - So?

Up-or-Out: McKinsey Raises the Pressure, In Contrast Some Law Firms Ease It through Nonequity Partner Tier

Down Memory Lane - There Was Actually a Time in When $70k for New JDs Was Big Money