WLB: Odds Are That Could Be Limiting Careers, Especially When You First Start Out

 When something is new or we professionals are new to it, WLB is downright irrelevant. So gawkers at us early adopters of generative AI should expect much unbalance. And, no, we don’t welcome “the talk” about wellness.

In an interview on AI with The Wall Street Journal, the star in myriad categories, from tech expertise to marketing, Scott Galloway discloses without apology this: In his 20s and 30s he was all-work. That, he contends, cost him his hair and his marriage. But he sizes the price paid as "worth it." 

Well, some of us would agree. Look where Galloway is now. His multiple brands are all gold standard.

Brad Karp's first job after receiving the JD was clerking for a judge. The work schedule - 14 hours a day - was so relentless that he had to obtain permission to attend his Harvard Law School graduation. Likely he carried that work ethic into his next job as an associate at Paul Weiss. Atypical, soon this very junior lawyer had a crack at the landmark Pennzoil litigation. 

As chairperson of Paul Weiss for 15 years, Karp's signature remains always-on. He is known for coming up with unique solutions for client problems late into the night. The cost for success seems not to be as high as Galloway's. Karp still has his hair. He still has his first wife. On a LinkedIn post about an achievement, his daughter saluted dad.

One more thing: On Galloway’s podcast, Karp was recognized as a “change agent.” That means he has transcended the boundaries of traditional business success.

When I got the opportunity to leap from non-profit to BigOil in my early 30s I knew not to balk about the volume of communications assignments and the impossible deadlines. I learned plenty in a short time. Of course, there wasn't much sleep. For weekends I volunteered to accompany the executives for low-profile local speaking engagements. Those were a tutorial in non-verbal communications.

Within two years when I shifted a job to Big Auto I tripled my salary. Although I didn't lose my hair I had to pay a stylist a king’s ransom to halt its drying out from stress. I never did marry. 

Currently being involved with generative AI is such a heady experience. I don't feel like I am sacrificing WLB to move this thing forward with whatever it takes. But this time around what’s new and new to me I can put the brakes on, somewhat. I did spend one afternoon of the past holiday weekend at Lake Erie. I was surprised I actually took time off.

Takeaway: Generative AI will require professionals of all generations to make gigantic investments of time and original thought processes. The Wellness Front Lines will deliver The Talk about WLB.

What is your career story? Or, what do you assume it is? That narrative may be ot-of-date and holding you back.

Take advantage of a complimentary consultation. Please contact intuitive career coach Jane Genova at janegenova374@gmail.com or text 203-468-8579.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akin Gump Julia Ghahramani's March 2021 Cocaine+ Death - So?

Up-or-Out: McKinsey Raises the Pressure, In Contrast Some Law Firms Ease It through Nonequity Partner Tier

Down Memory Lane - There Was Actually a Time in When $70k for New JDs Was Big Money