Tech, Law, Consulting and More: When the Time Comes to Stop Clawing for Assignments



 "Do you have work for me?" 

That's what The Wall Street Journal reports those at major consulting firms keep asking. If they don't land work, of course in time it is likely they will be terminated. 

The same phenomenon is happening in other prestigious sectors ranging from tech to law. Those I have coached describe that process as "clawing for work." 

One woman who became pregnant opted to protect the fetus from extreme stress and stopped clawing. The law firm laid her off.  After the birth she joined her husband's financial firm, on the business side. She never looks back. 

And that could become the MO of all those for whom clawing isn't paying off: Pivot onto another career path. 

That could be in the trades. One client knocked out of the white-collar box entered a long distance driving training program, paying tuition of $7,000. Within three months he was on the road, with no nostalgia about how it used to be.  His attitude is gratitude that he can pay his bills and do so without digging into savings. 

The myth is that letting go of what your education prepared you for will be a brutal transition. The reality is that most feel relief and hope about a true new start. 

That's essentially my story from several years ago. Law firm Paul, Weiss put me on retainer for communications assignments. The person overseeing what could have happened was Chief Marketing Officer Luke Ferrandino. There was no work during that two-month period before I pulled the plug. Also no contract specifying my duties, no metrics for measuring my performance and no NDA about what I could do and say and not do and say. (about the latter, that was a law firm)

To me, the communications career path didn't seem to be panning out. Not any more. How less-than I felt. Remain in that force field long enough and you will crack up. 

I pivoted to building my sidelines in intuitive coaching and tarot readings. Then, as now, I feel better about myself professionally. As a current sideline, I still pick up (w/o clawing) communications assignments. Like the long distance driver, every day I wake up thankful that I am making a living. 

Sure, it comes back to Adam Smith's Invisible Hand. And all generations, not only Zers, seem to be accepting that we have to align with demand. Resist that and we will be finished. Note that LinkedIn posted on the shortage of plumbers. In the state of Washington, the average annual salary for a plumber is $109,400.

2024. Unpack your limiting beliefs, finally leave the past behind, pick up on the opportunity in this crazy era.  Jane Genova provides you with intuitive career coaching, Tarot readings and related communications. Complimentary confidential consultation. (For appointment text/phone 203-468-8579 or email janegenova374@gmail.com)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Akin Gump Julia Ghahramani's March 2021 Cocaine+ Death - So?

Up-or-Out: McKinsey Raises the Pressure, In Contrast Some Law Firms Ease It through Nonequity Partner Tier

Down Memory Lane - There Was Actually a Time in When $70k for New JDs Was Big Money