Find Right Fit - Really, The Money Will Follow (eventually)

Both money and what seems more secure than other opportunities can and usually do seduce us into opting for that job or contract assignment which is a terrible fit. Too often, that will overrule the choice of a work situation which would be a more natural fit. 

And, over and over again, we have borne witness, including in our own careers, to the reality that such bad fits can eat away at everything from our achievement to mental health. That is increasingly how things play out in this era when work has become so demanding. There are few jobs or client assignments that can be accomplished during regular business hours, five days a week.

Essentially the consensus on Subreddit Big Law is that the fit should take precedence over other factors in determining a career path. That is even if there will be less initial compensation. The collective wisdom is: Do what you love and the money will follow. 

A member of the JD of Class of 2023 posts a question about if there should be an acceptance of an offer for a position in bankruptcy (very secure practice area in these upside-down times) for the first job. However, what is made clear is that the law student doesn't like bankruptcy, the colleagues at the law firm, or the city. Here is the thread.

Those struggling financially might find this take on the choice of work in terms of pursuing the rigth fit ridiculous. Actually, I came of age in old-line immigrant pre-gentrified Jersey City, New Jersey. There the economic ethos was: Grab that offer and hold onto it for dear life. For most of us such early imprinting remains.

So, a struggler in the glutted field of communications I found it weird to be opting out of a retainer vendor agreement with law firm Paul Weiss for marketing communications. The money was good and it was a bird in the hand. 

But the fit for me was just not there. I was thrown off my game by how I perceived I was "treated." The middleman supervising me Chief Marketing Officer Luke Ferrandino didn't assign any "real work" (I am a worker). There was no contract outlining what I was supposed to do. There were no metrics for assessing my performance (which, I have to assume the renewal of the retainer depended on). There was no NDA specifying what I could disclose or not disclose.

I didn't feel safe. I didn't feel that I belonged. I was so nervous.

Somehow, after two months I conjured up the strength to pull the plug on that.

It did happen: Find a better fit and the money will follow. 

To find that fit I have had to shut down my syndicated blog in law (Law and More) which had defined me. Yes, get out of law. There's a big world out there.  

What opened up have been opportunities in conservative ideology. That was new to me. Because I wasn't exhausted by the bad fit I could do what it took to land the work and do it. In addition, I have beefed up my intuitive coachings service.

Letting go of what most would consider solid (but was it, given how "they" dealt with me) was traumatic. I have great empathy for those who can't embrace the risk linked to the search of the right fit. The world is quite aggressive in dictating what we "should" be choosing.

Purpose-driven intuitive career coaching, including Tarot Readings. For more information or a complimentary consultation, please contact janegenova374@gmail.com or text 203-468-8579. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America Not Hiring in 2026: Back to Golden Age of Solopreneurs?

Scott Barshay's Leadership at Paul, Weiss Torpedoed, PR Nothing But a Joke, Sympathy for Brad Karp

Newly Minted PhDs in Economics Face Unwelcoming Job Market: Of Course, I Left My PhD in Humanities Off the Resume