Liberty Public Library, Youngstown, Ohio - Evolution from Books, Third Place, Media Center to Hero to Those Searching for/Doing Work

We boomers vividly remember the local public library as where you went for books. 

Then that institution turned into a Third Place for latch-key kids and adults needing stimulation. The special events were (still are) awesome. 

Next was the library as media center. It was there that I learned to navigate the internet and conduct a Google search. 

Now, in this dicy times for finding, holding and moving onto better work, it has become a downright hero. 

In May 2023 I moved into this area. Since then I have popped into the Liberty Public Library, Yongstown, Ohio for work-related searches and for actual assignments requiring copying, scanning/emailing and even, get this, having photos taken and a 75-second video made (against a blank background). 

A boomer, I am not at home with technology. I simply have enough of a handle on all that, including generative AI, to remain employed and marketable. In contrast, the staff at the Liberty Library is skilled. They are also very patient with those of us who are not so blessed. 

This week Melanie at the front desk pitched in to help with my onboarding process for a new assignment. 

That mandated that for its website I have to provide a photo of myself and a video highlighting what I could do for clients.What I had turned in from my own ham-handed attempts the business rejected. Desperate I turned to Melanie for help.

At first she figured out how to approach getting this done. Then we started. She went through several takes for both the photos and the video. 

Yesyesyes, what Melanie - Photographic Wonder Woman -  produced did the trick. I was in. Monday at 6 AM EDT I will be on Zoom with a manager. 

The reputation of Liberty Library for being a hero in the Youngstown community is widespread. Yesterday, for example, I had a routine visit at a medical center. The doctor shared his own story of how the folks at that library have enriched his life. Last Thursday they hosted a presentation on mansions in the area.

Thank you to Melanie and the rest of the professionals at Liberty Library. 

Data or the gut for your careers and communications? Both of course. Complimentary consultation with intuitive coach, content-creator, and Tarot reader Jane Genova (text 202-468-8579, janegenova374@gmail.com).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wachtell Partner Romancing Associate in Central Park: Let's Talk About Power

America Not Hiring in 2026: Back to Golden Age of Solopreneurs?

Scott Barshay's Leadership at Paul, Weiss Torpedoed, PR Nothing But a Joke, Sympathy for Brad Karp