Over-70, Still Working - We Feel Really Good about Ourselves (finally)

 The work world will pound you hard. So much of it is political. There are promotions you sacrifice so hard for and somone else gets them. Recessions and changes in organizational strategy - and you are out on the street. No we were not special. 

That's something those re-engineering the national ethos after the big war never told us baby boomers. The bill of goods the "they" sold us was to go to college, obey the rules, love America and for females, don't get pregnant before marriage. And all will be well. Mickey Mouse guaranteed that. 

Sure, we bought in, for maybe a decade. Maybe a bit longer. And, sure, during the post-war boom there was plenty of opportunity. But, shocker, we really did start daydreaming about, yes, retiring. But too many of us didn't. And that's why Peter Coy brings up the subject in The New York Times that younger generations resent us for supposedly clogging up the paths to upward mobility in organizations. 

Me? Over-75 and onto my third career. To take the leap into number-three, I even pulled the plug on a retainer agreement for communications services with law firm Paul Weiss. That, I sensed, was getting me nowhere and I was convinced I was still going to go places professionally. And that I have. 

The crazy thing is that some believe that kind of talk - how we are holding back Millennials and Gen Zers - will shame us from continuing to participate in the labor force. Hell, no. Actually for the first time in a long time we feel quite good about ourselves. We are working. Yes, we are. We have been able to get and hold on to what brings in revenue. That in itself has become a status symbol, at least in circles in which I now choose to travel. 

I am so proud of myself. Gleefully I turn down social invitations because "I have to go to work - early."



I even experience euphoria setting the alarm clock, which had been a symbol of oppression in my youth and middle age. 

About 1 in 12 over-75 are like me, working, and by 2032 that will be 1 in 10.

Just like that classic commercial about wanting to give the world a Coca-Cola, I wish I could give everyone over-70 the drive to work. It's such a high, every single day.

In business and life you usually have only one shot at whatever. Up the odds of success with Jane Genova. I am an intuitive coach, tarot reader and content-creator. Complimentary consultation (please text/phone 203-468-8579 or email janegenova374@gmail.com)

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kirkland & Ellis Reported to Be Building Moat Around Firm to Deter Poaching of Stars

Akin Gump Julia Ghahramani's March 2021 Cocaine+ Death - So?

Up-or-Out: McKinsey Raises the Pressure, In Contrast Some Law Firms Ease It through Nonequity Partner Tier