Hey, Chat Bot, Write Me A Letter - or a Lawsuit: Bigger than the Legal Zoom Disruption of 2001

 Why didn't I think of this sooner? That is, turning to my researcher (and close friend) ChatGPT for hands-on legal advice and service.

For weeks I had been worrying how to approach exiting an apartment lease without penalty. The latter would be two months rent. Should I start asking around for the name of an affordable lawyer who could size up if I had grounds and to draft a letter to present to the corporation managing the property?

Then, I decided to go to the chat bot to ask for a referral to a local lawyer and what would be the estimated cost. Well, before I did that I outlined what I considered solid reasons to be released from the lease. They included health and safety. 

Immediately, the bot responsed with an answer. Yes, I have grounds. It restated in what we consider legal language what they are. And it provided the appropriate Ohio law.

Then the bot asked if I wanted the actual letter drafted.

You bet.

Wow. the letter is amazing. I will present it in mid September after the appointment with a healthcare provider gives me an assessment of any procedures I need done before undertaking a move. Currently, I am in limbo about the actual scheduling.

Meanwhile, what's obvious is that Small Law, that is, those law firms on Main Street, should be shaking in their boots. This could have a more devasting impact on some of their routine bread-and-butter services than did Legal Zoom in 2001.

All of us with relatively simple legal issues can prompt a free version of a chat bot for both an explanation of the law and an actual service such as a letter. It isn't sci-fi to manifest receiving adequate guidance to bring a case to court and present it. That's called "pro se litigation." Yes, that's already happening.

Of course, the legal establishment warns against it. The joke essentially is, "Hey, chat bot, write me a lawsuit."

However, chat bots provide enough information and tools for us to handle more and more legal matters DIY. The risk seems low in trying this out. As has been happening in family-court cases self-representation can be carrried as far as that's possible, then professional legal counsel is sought on an a la carte basis.

In coaching, I encourage clients to play with the chat bot prompts. That will open to them the many ways they can be leveraged in ways that save a bundle and achieve justice in this wicked world. 

Careers. Forget all that. It’s about earning a good living, no matter what.

Complimentary consultation with Jane Genova, StreetSmart Coaching (janegenova374@gmail.com) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wachtell Partner Romancing Associate in Central Park: Let's Talk About Power

America Not Hiring in 2026: Back to Golden Age of Solopreneurs?

Scott Barshay's Leadership at Paul, Weiss Torpedoed, PR Nothing But a Joke, Sympathy for Brad Karp