No Joke, Dogs "Read" How We're Feeling: Unlike the World, They Respond with Comfort, Not Exploitation
A joke in comments to The Wall Street Journal coverage of the University of Michigan's eliminating freshmen letter grades is this:
"A puppy on every dorm floor."
But actually that might do the trick of reducing the stress of adjusting to college. Experimenting with that, instead of tossing traditional grading, could improve mental health.
What every pet parent has known for years has been documented by researchers at the University of Vienna. The results, published this month in the Cell Press Journal iScience, provide concrete evidence that the border collie 1) Can read human facial expressions, such as joy or sadness and 2) Respond appropriately. About the latter, if we are up, they share the elation. If down, they move in with comfort.
So, when we are with our dogs, we can unmask. Not take on the face which warns the world not to mess with us. A public display of unease could invite predators to pounce. Yes, exploit us in an infinite number of ways.
But there's also a downside to this unique bonding with our animal companions.
Soon after I adopted 10-year-old, disabled Bentley from the Toledo Animal Shelter last December I was going through a kind of perfect storm.
I had invested mega bucks in my smile. Now, they couldn't do a root canal on a front tooth. It had to be extracted. A car I had purchased used several months ago online, without warranty, had to be junked. My coaching/tarot-reading business was slow.
Part of Bentley's adjustment process was having to absorb my Debbie Downer state of being. To today I feel guilty. The little guy already had been through the wringer.
Upon reflection, though, I realize that perhaps I got through all that primarily because Bentley would nuzzle up to me on the sofa.
In guiding clients navigating tough times I recommend doing the good deed of rescuing a hard-to-place dog. That can rebalance the humans. And deliver to them genuine caring. Networking involves commercial transactions. Not the healing power of love.
Careers.
Forget all that. It’s about earning a good living, no matter what.
Complimentary consultation with Jane Genova, StreetSmart Coaching (janegenova374@gmail.com)

Comments
Post a Comment